Thursday, March 27, 2014

Comfort Food


Comfort food. Sounds strange coming from someone who hates to cook and can barely decide what to eat half the time. But I think of the term as more of a way of life. When we struggle to make ends meet and try to work harder to accomplish the task; or when it always feels like we are striving to 'do better' or to be like that person who always seems happy with their life.  Well, that's not comfort food. That's more like 'discomfort food' or at the very least it's just 'hard to swallow food'.
There's something about being at peace while in your circumstances. We may not always like what we're going through, but the struggling to make it go away can magnify the problem.
So, how do we stop striving and struggling and juggling? Very carefully! It seems that peace comes from rest. It also seems that the more chaos there is, the greater the need to just STOP. Some people give up when all they really needed was a break, a breather, a time-out.
I find that reading, crocheting, going on a date with my hubby, or even going to church is a great way for me to take a break from everything around me. It gives me focus in a sometimes blurry world. I like books that are edifying so that I can learn more about myself and hopefully grow stronger; I like seeing something that I've created to remind me that I really do have a creative side (I can't tell you how many times I have said "I'm not very creative"); I love it when my hubby and I can just get caught up with each other and not have to think about getting caught up with work or laundry or (fill in the blank); and church is my chance to grow my spirit as I am reminded of just who God made me to be.
How about you? Do you need a break? How do you unwind?

No comments:

Post a Comment